In connection with its Corporate Governance Guidelines, NCR's Board of Directors has established independence standards, which meet, and in some cases exceed, the independence guidelines for directors under the NYSE listing standards. In general, the Board shall determine whether a director is considered independent, taking into account the following factors, in addition to those other factors it may deem relevant:
- has not been an employee of the Company or any of its affiliates, or affiliated with the Company, within the past five years;
- has not been affiliated with or an employee of the Company’s present or former independent auditors or its affiliates for at least five years after the end of such affiliation or auditing relationship;
- has not for the past five years been a paid advisor, service provider or consultant to the Company or any of its affiliates or to an executive officer of the Company or an employee or owner of a firm that is such a paid advisor, service provider or consultant;
- does not, directly or indirectly, have a material relationship (such as being an executive officer, director, partner, employee or significant stockholder) with a company that has made payments to or received payments from the Company that exceeded, in any of the previous three fiscal years, the greater of $1 million or 2% of the other company’s consolidated gross revenues;
- is not an executive officer or director of a foundation, university or other non-profit entity receiving significant contributions from the Company, including contributions in the previous three years that, in any single fiscal year, exceeded the greater of $1 million or 2% of such charitable organization’s consolidated gross revenues;
- has not been employed by another corporation that has (or had) an executive officer of the Company on its board of directors during the past five years;
- has not received compensation, consulting, advisory or other fees from the Company, other than director compensation and expense reimbursement or compensation for prior service that is not contingent on continued service for the past five years; and
- is not and has not been for the past five years, a member of the immediate family of (i) an officer of the Company, (ii) an individual who receives or has received during any twelve-month period more than $120,000 per year in direct compensation from the Company, other than director and committee fees and pension or other forms of deferred compensation for prior service that is not contingent on continued service, (iii) an individual who, with respect to the Company’s independent auditors or their affiliates, is a current partner or a current employee personally working on the Company’s audit or was a partner or employee and personally worked on the Company’s audit, (iv) an individual who is an executive officer of another corporation that has (or had) an executive officer of the Company on its board of directors, (v) an executive officer of a company that has made payment to, or received payments from, the Company in a fiscal year that exceeded the greater of $1 million or 2% of the other company’s consolidated gross revenues, or (vi) any director who is not considered an independent director.
NCR’s Board of Directors has determined that all of the Company’s non-employee directors and nominees, namely Edward (Pete) Boykin, Richard L. Clemmer, Gary J. Daichendt, Robert P. DeRodes, Kurt P. Kuehn, Linda Fayne Levinson and Deanna W. Oppenheimer are independent in accordance with the NYSE listing standards and the Company’s Corporate Governance Guidelines.